Marcellus, who worked ranger staff at camp, was shocked to discover that I go to college.
"You've got an education and you're still doing physical labor?" he asked me.
I didn't know how to respond. Is education a way to avoid physical labor? Is physical labor lower than white collar work?
Saturday mornings at camp are equipment moves. Nick said "It's like getting paid to go to the gym."
I wonder.
Am I going to grow up and get a white-collar job where I don't have to do physical labor then spend my white-collar money on a gym membership because I sit at a desk all day and get out of shape?
Physical labor lasts only for as long as our strength holds out. Mental labor can be done as long as our mental strength holds out. Usually this is a longer period of time than our physical strength lasts. Plus, physical labor eventually is more painful than mental labor. I will be able to teach until I die. Roofing and plumbing may be another story.
ReplyDeleteIn ancient Greece, physical strength was valued over mental strength. In our society, it's not usually that way. It's not that physical labor is less important than mental labor. It's just that our society values (pays) mental labor more than physical labor.