Friday, October 10, 2008

fall break part 1

THE PLAN:

Nathan from Hillsdale drives me to MSU on Wednesday. We get there about four. I hang out with Jacob until Jason is done with LCC class at 6. Jason picks me up at MSU, picks Bob up in Byron, and we drive up to camp. We stay there until Tony picks me up Friday afternoon.

THE EXECUTION:

Reunion

Nathan dropped me off at the bus stop at MSU and drove off before Jacob got there. I set my stuff on the bench and stood looking for him. Not 15 seconds had passed when I heard his voice: "behind you." I went to give him a hug and I was two feet off the ground, in his arms. I'd forgotten how strong he was (how?).

"It's so good to see another staff member," he told me, his smile so wide I thought it would break his face. I knew there were thrills of delight shooting through his body--he was in a Class B uniform and he hugged me without permission. He was giddy when he saw that I tautline-hitched my sleeping bag to my duffel bag with climbing rope.

I forgot how much I missed him.

MSU

The lounge in the student union was much quieter than Grewcock. We chatted for a bit, then I started talking to students about food safety for my "man on the street" story for my journalism class.

The first girl I talked to was a second-year grad student, and I wasn't at Hillsdale.

The second girl I talked to told me the FDA should do something to keep our food safe, and I definitely wasn't at Hillsdale.

We put my stuff up in Jacob's room--his dorm is larger than my sophomore class--and wandered around campus for a bit. Campus was beautiful. They allow--and even encourage--you to recycle. And I found this:


And as much as I whine about fancy-schmancy donor-schmoozing nonsense at Hillsdale, MSU's bathrooms were kind of gross and I'm glad ours are nice. But, Hillsdale, I can flush the toilet myself.

We got a phone call from Jason and he was on his way. We were going to meet him at the international center.

Reunion

I set my bag on the ground.

I used to tie my toes in knots to prevent myself from running across the room and tackle-hugging when I meet people I haven't seen in a while. I always thought it was annoying--probably because it's a very feminine way of greeting people--but I remember talking to Jason about it and he said he loves the tackle-hug reunion. I believed him. Jason loves women and is kind of a sucker for anything feminine. Few men are completely comfortable with telling any woman that she's beautiful; few men can do so without hitting on her or being creepy. Jason is one of those few.

He was wearing a gray hoodie and his staff hat (cover). He had his eyes down and he walked straight, stoically. It took me a bit to recognize him. And when I did he had two doors to go through and four steps to go up, so the tackle-hug thing didn't really work. I had to pause before going down the steps so I couldn't get enough momentum. I caught him about halfway up the steps, gave him a hug, and sort of walked him back down the steps.

Jacob told Jason to show us his pride and joy, and he pointed: "it's right there." It was beautiful.



Pizza and Ice Cream



Departure

Jacob carried my bag and he was thrilled to have something productive to do. We got my stuff loaded into Jason's car and it was time to go.

Jacob gave Jason a talk on taking care of me. "Watch her," he said.

"Just, not while I'm getting dressed," I added.

I gave Jacob a hug before I got into the car and when we let go I felt like my heart snagged on something came ripping out of my body.

I forgot how much I missed Jacob. I almost yelled after him when he walked away.

Drive

Jason is a good driver. I felt very safe in his car.

Reunion

We didn't have Bob's address, but we knew it was the blue house after the field in the outskirts of Byron. We tried calling him but he didn't get service.

We found his house, said hello, and loaded up his gear.

"You're bringing your rifle with you?" Jason asked.

"I always bring at least one gun with me when I go up north," Bob replied.

Jason looked at me. "I hope," he said.

I called Mike and he said we could crash in treehouses. We wouldn't be at camp until after midnight, and no one else was on camp.

Drive

I looked out the window and saw Cassiopeia--something I learned at camp this summer.

We stopped in Sterling for caffeine. Jason winced when we got out of the car.

"What's that smell?" he asked.

"Look." Bob pointed across the street.

Cows.

Arrival

Jason turned his brights on once we got on the dirt road. Leaves scattered the path--red leaves, I think--and a breeze brought a maple shower onto the car. I thought of a flower girl spreading petals across the aisle for the bride to walk on. It felt like: someone made this path for us and they were awaiting our arrival. We were late, but we were coming home, and someone was waiting for us.

I felt a hush as we drove past the twelve wooden signs on the way into camp: trustworthy. loyal. helpful. friendly. courteous. kind. obedient. cheerful. thrifty. brave. clean. reverent.

We drove around to treehouses 6 and 7. Bob and Jason set up in the Lizard Lounge; I slept across in Robin's Rainbow Room. Their cabiny smell surprised me. I never noticed it during the summer.

I was cold.

Happy to be home.

Morning
I woke up before the guys did and

Sometimes over Christmas I'll wake up early in the morning--just early enough to see the sun sparkle the innocent, fresh new snow that fell overnight. No one else is awake and I feel like this beauty was created just for me. And it makes me feel special and happy and giddy inside.

When I woke up that morning, alone in the treehouse, I felt the same. Everything was beautiful.


I walked around by the boathouse and OA dock then out to the burned area and Three Bs. Everything was delightfully beautiful, but my camera couldn't see much of it.





I knocked on the door of the Lizard Lounge around 10 a.m. We packed our things into Jason's van and we went over to Mike's house.

At Mike's House

Mike offered us instant oatmeal. None of us took the blueberry oatmeal, and he told us afterward he was hoping we would because he didn't like the blueberry.

We chatted.

He showed us the mines.

No comments:

Post a Comment