Last year I started a list of things that make me happy, and I've been updating it periodically. When I'm stressed over a paper, reading through the list calms me down. (I recommend this.)
I've been asked several times if there's an accompanying list of things that really bug me. I've been tempted to make one, and some of then have started to creep into this list (see #1, #40, #41, and #90). I haven't made one for three reasons: first, it wouldn't be good for me; second, it would serve no purpose; third, I think a lot of people would find it funny to go through the list and annoy me as much as possible ("you look so cute, Pet-Rides!").
So here are 156 things that make me smile, 156 things for which I'm thankful, 156 blessings I've counted thus far, 156 reasons beyond the ordinary big ones that I know God loves me.
(maybe take a look at #87)
1. wildflowers, flowers in the ground where they belong, especially when they’re not in a garden. wild geraniums. bloodroot. trillium. jack-in-the-pulpit. siberian squill. violets. crocuses. snowdrops. daisies. indian paintbrush.
2. my grandma’s big blue Croatian eyes, and any hint that I have them
3. the scent inside wintergreen leaves
4. the smell of incense and chrism
5. the story of Judith
6. having the immediate family all together in the same place
7. euchre
8. snow
9. Uncle Joe’s cabin
10. the B.C. Bar
11. campfires
12. canoeing on Grass Lake
13. seeing people smile, hearing people laugh, knowing that people are happy
14. live theater
15. violin music, played well
16. the intercession of Sts. Anthony and Michael
17. when the first-graders sing the refrain to “Canticle of the Sun”
18. honesty
19. sunrises
20. good nature photography
21. the pin oak that holds its leaves tenaciously until mid-April
22. big chairs that are just the right size to curl up in
23. the brown chair in the basement
24. Emily’s adamant denial of her suth’n twaang
25. comfortable jeans
26. hoodies
27. getting clothes from Emily
28. hot chocolate
29. wool socks
30. white pines
31. ferns
32. deer
33. the misshapen white pine in the meadow at the cabin
34. languages
35. how language and psychology connect
36. hearing people talk about what they love, even if I’m not that interested
37. football
38. UM football
39. Tony Smela’s grin that graces every camera he finds (“graces” is stretching it…)
40. dogs, but not the small puny ones you can punt across the room
41. practical jokes, but only if they’re more funny than annoying
42. marching bands
43. backaches after shoveling snow
44. the blue-purple dark in early evening on fresh snow
45. the dull ache of soreness that means muscles are getting stronger
46. Polaris water
47. random phrases in other languages
48. large quantities of boring black and blue pens
49. the Mackinac bridge
50. George’s Russian hat
51. messages on my dry-erase board
52. actually, messages almost anywhere
53. epic similes/metaphors
54. Fox in Socks and tweedle beetles
55. all the dents, nicks, chips, etc. in our crèche
56. Maple Leaf Rag
57. Cheese Broccoli (the song)
58. when people ask so I can answer “with silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row”
59. etymological discoveries
60. when men love Mary (mother of God)
61. jokes that make me feel smart
62. Roget. Words. Good words.
63. Dr. Burke humor.
64. olive oil on focaccia bread
65. playing football in the snow
66. making fun of Tony Bosak (but endearingly)
67. treehouse #7
68. climbing. rappelling. the pretty rope.
69. the smell of fresh dirt.
70. rhythmic poetry. “The Bells.” “Annabel Lee.”
71. Wheat Chex with honey
72. when I’m sleeping or pretending to sleep or trying to sleep and someone comes over and puts a blanket or coat or something on me
73. asparagus ferns
74. wearing other people’s clothing, but usually only if it belongs to a sibling, because otherwise it’s kind of weird
75. the awesome blue hat Amanda made
76. Kennedy, Calvin, and George: “hammerzeit”
77. Tony hugs (Tony Smela)
78. getting lost in dictionaries
79. when people tell me something that they know I’ll find interesting
80. gory crucifixes
81. when the etymology of a word turns out to be awesome
82. Thai lessons from Garrett
83. when men respect women for being women and not just for being people
84. Grimms’ Tales
85. puns
86. finding out I don’t have as much work to do as I thought I did
87. after it rains, the maple footprints on cement
88. Mu Alpha hats
89. chocolate scotcheroos
90. Petrides pronounced correctly
91. Grandpa’s “muskatelli” and Uncle Leo’s “mostacowie” for “mostaccioli”
92. Uncle Leo’s “Mark two!” and “passage” and slamming the cards on the table playing euchre
93. leafless trees silhouetted against a sunrise or sunset
94. clear blue winter skies over fresh snow
95. Bubble Bobble
96. fires, contained: a candle, a fireplace, a firepit
97. feeling warm sun
98. giant dictionaries in libraries
99. the smell of cedar
100. the smell of distant fast food during winter
101. making Calvin lose the game
102. bells
103. the clinking sound of Rosaries coming out
104. usually the last thing Seamus says before someone yells at him to shut up
105. the electric excitement of a thunderstorm
106. the electric excitement of the first snow
107. the smell of new t-shirts
108. integritive
109. the sound of water hitting the leaves of houseplants
110. the smell of coffee
111. the intercession of St. Thomas Aquinas
112. pilfering in good fun
113. ashes
114. George singing/humming Celtic songs
115. when people ask me what “velleity” means, then are too lazy to go look it up
116. Seth with ice cream in a waffle cone
117. rotating smileys on gmail chat
118. the sizzling sound of PAAS egg dye and the accompanying scent of vinegar
119. the Greek egg-cracking game
120. the clinking of censer and chain
121. dressing up in clothing several times my size, especially shoes
122. homemade chocolate chip cookies
123. cookie dough
124. ultimate Frisbee
125. the smell of freshly-cut grass
126. bird songs
127. Georgia whistling
128. Nathan’s Kat
129. Brandon’s injuries
130. sailing
131. Jason’s courtesy
132. sleeping in the boathouse
133. friendship: Kennedy and Calvin. Andrew and Evan. Sam and Ian.
134. scoutcraft fires
135. eco-con fires
136. pyrodex
137. the esophagal warmth from drinking hot chocolate in the cold
138. Jason’s “yes ma’am” and “no ma’am” and “aye aye ma’am”
139. wind through my hair
140. Red Wings hockey
141. useful, efficient, and sturdy knots and lashings, especially the mooring hitch
142. stained glass windows
143. Marine recruiters
144. Marines in blues
145. waffles
146. after a day of hard (physical) work, falling asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow
147. sleeping on the floor
148. Scottish dancing
149. swing dancing
150. Chevy trucks, especially the ones at camp
151. up north
152. lead army men
153. swimming where the fish pee
154. sunrises
155. Jeff’s hick-speek
156. Jason’s footprints all over campus
157. Dutch oven cobbler
ReplyDelete158. mornings, especially in the woods or before everyone else wakes up
159. Latin’s ablative
ReplyDelete160. finding the right word and making the sentence work
well, your list made me smile too :)
ReplyDeleteWhat makes me smile is when things make other people smile. I love it when people are happy. :)
ReplyDeleteAnne - see #13
ReplyDeleteI love you both.
Eggs Make Me smile
ReplyDelete