I'm not sure if these people really want their names used, so I'm going to encode them. If they want to disclose their identity, they are welcome to do so.
My quest: to figure out how to be a good woman. to figure out what it means to be a good woman. to figure out what femininity is.
C&A kept telling me if I want to figure it out, I have to talk to women about it. He kept getting frustrated, because I kept asking him and probably wasn't listening nearly as well as I thought I was. I told him I didn't really have any woman friends I could really talk to about this because it was so much easier to hang out with guys, so that's what I did mostly. He pointed me to X, and told me I should talk to her. She, he said, understood femininity very well.
I don't know what it was, but there was a barrier. I couldn't talk to X without cringing and feeling like a failure. I kept trying, and C&A couldn't understand what the barrier was. And I couldn't explain it to him, because I didn't understand it either.
BYM and I would talk at length about masculinity and femininity. I learned more from these discussions than anywhere else, as far as I know. We'd discuss things like: I love football and I want to be strong; can I be feminine and still do that? Do I have to sew and crochet and enjoy shopping in order to be feminine? And we would conclude things like: men who lift weights every day because they have to prove their manliness seem like wusses compared to men who are confident in their manliness but maybe not as physically strong. Similarly, women who smear on layers of makeup in order to be beautiful seem ugly compared to women who are confident in their own beauty but maybe not as beautiful.
I told BYM that I predicted X and JF would be the next couple, but he wasn't so sure.
He said she was taking on the role of little sister because that's what JF needed.
C&A pursued her quite a bit last year--it was kind of obvious even if I hadn't overheard what I did. Someone described her as "darn careful." They didn't date, as far as I know.
I went to dinner and watched people, including X, JF, and one or two dating couples. Something clicked. I went to adoration at St. Anthony's after dinner and started writing. About 7:30, something else clicked.
It really is an issue of confidence, but it isn't self-confidence.
BYM was right: if you're going to be fully masculine or fully feminine, you kind of have to let it happen accidentally. And if you're confident, you aren't going to be artificially manipulating your behavior.
C&A found X so completely feminine because she had this confidence. I wouldn't call it confidence, though--it's very gentle. Not wishy-washy, though. And not necessarily quiet, but definitely not obnoxious.
I can't see her fighting. I can't see her cowering. If she were attacked, I don't know what she'd do. I can't see her afraid. She'd probably try to get away as best she could, but she'd probably be killed. And if she weren't, she'd go back and make sure the guy who attacked her is okay. She wouldn't have to forgive him because she wouldn't be offended.
I remember when I was little (you hush. I've grown some.), my mom told me that God is King and Father. I remember doing the math in my head, and when I had it all sorted out, I asked her if that made me a princess. And she said yes. I was utterly delighted.
But it's something I've forgotten.
MC tells me about CM, a girl who drops her 5-inch skirt any chance she gets. MC tells me she keeps asking him to come see her, but he doesn't want to go. She'll ploy him into having sex with her, and he wants to date a girl who will at least make him work to have sex with her. I had no problem identifying and explaining the problem. CM had no self-confidence, or anyway very little. Women want to be pursued, but she didn't think she was worth pursuing or didn't think any man would pursue her. So she gave up the chase and let herself be caught--and if no one would catch her, she would jump into their hands and hold on with the grip as strong as a two-year-old's.
I think I did the same thing with MCS last year, though not to the same extent. I was boyfriend-hunting, to an extent, though not entirely consciously. Part of it was that I was pretty sure I had a religious vocation but priests kept telling me to date, so I figured I'd have a boyfriend in college then after I graduate go find an order. (Fr. Bob always tells me that the best way to make God laugh is to make plans.) Part of it is something I think all, or anyway most, freshmen go through: you're thrown into a huge group of people you've never met, and maybe one of them...
But I wanted to be pursued, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be. And how do you "be pursued" anyway? You don't do anything. So I made it easy. And I ignored red flags and made it too easy. The whole thing was entirely chaste, physically speaking: there was no sex, there was no uncovering or touching certain body parts. But I got him to ask me out.
X didn't do that. Here's the thing about her: she has her focus right. She knows she's a princess, knows she's loved utterly and completely by God, knows she's totally captivating, knows she's beautiful. She knows it as well as she knows that her shoes are on the right feet--she doesn't have to think about it.
That's what it means to be feminine.
To know that you're a princess. That you're totally captivating. That you're loved, fully, completely, unconditionally. To know that He will chase after you as long as you keep running, and when He catches you He will never let you go. To know that you are totally and completely safe with Him.
To know it the same way that you know to put toothpaste on your toothbrush before you stick it in your mouth. To know it better than the back of your hand. To know it so well you don't have to think about it. To know it so well that it doesn't bother you that other people do it well--that maybe it bothers you that other people don't know it well and you want to show them.
To keep your focus on Him because He will never fail you. Will never betray your trust. Will never lose strength. Will always defend and protect you. Will always find you completely beautiful. Will always find you captivating. Will always pursue you. Will never let you go.
Will set you free.
[addendum]
Proverbs 31 describes God's delightful princess. I'm delighted you're not hiding from your loving Father and King. You are beautiful inside and out.
ReplyDeleteyou're confusing feminimity with a girl who is feminine in your eyes. how can you say who is feminine and who isn't if you don't know what it is? maybe you ARE feminine and just don't know it. hmmm... or maybe you're deliberatly saying this to see who replies to find a man who will make you feel feminine. I think the underscoring issue here is again boy hunting. Except this way you have him anyone who reads your blogs and admits to it obviously has some interest in you, whether it is friendly, love interest like, or hates you. so you are fishing. anyway. why not consult augistine or the bible? they very clearly state many such things. You should talk to people you don't normally talk to i.e. the football players, athletes, the guys who regularly 'womanize' and see their opinion of a woman and compare it with your friends (b/c they should think the same way as you) talk to masculine men, talk to feminine men and compare. Find someone to trust and give yourself to her/him. b/c there is tension in the subcurrent of this article. you may delete this comment with no fear i'll be offended, in fact i probably would delete it myself. i'd tell you/send it to you however i don't really want you to know who i am. though you may already know.
ReplyDeleteFemininininity, or however you spell it can be defined as normal can be defined. It is in the eye of the beholder. anonymous has a good point. look outside the box. try different types of people, and you can't base feminininity on one person especially since that is your perception of one person. you don't really know how they feel on the inside. my advice to you is to be yourself. at that age, (sorry I'm older) we all fish and that is okay, but it is more prudent to fish for yourself and find yourself, and you will get all that God has for you. I'm gonna post another comment that my friend told me. it was so profound that i wrote it down. love ya
ReplyDeleteIt may be prudent for you to do what you’ve been taught and what is safe, but if you choose not to step outside of the box and experience the desires of your heart, your life will not be as fulfilled. It may be right to fall back on the things and ways you know are right because you were taught as a child, but you must be ready and willing to do these things or you will not be happy.
ReplyDelete